I read a lot of blog posts during the week – I kind of consider them like a little retreat during the beginning, middle, or end of a day – thus the title of this series of posts – weekly retreats. I try to remember to collect the best of them here for you each week so you can be as entertained or prodded or as moved as I am.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- This post from Chalene Johnson on Facebook. A great reminder for me. I might not be doing what I want to be, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t be serving my purpose while I am waiting to get where I want to be.
You don’t FIND your purpose, you honor it. The job and circumstance you have CURRENTLY are just as important as your higher aspirations.
Serve your purpose where you are.
- Why Don’t You Do Something Good – Fat Mum Slim. This is a great reminder to put that energy out there into the world. What can you do this week to brighten the lives around you?
- How to Use Canva for Custom Graphics – Random Little Faves. Vicky is one of my fellow Clever Cookie Blog School graduates, and this is a great post on how to use Canva. I’ve been using it to make custom blog & facebook graphics for the last couple of weeks, and I really like how easy it is to use. One thing to note – I download and change the file from a .png to a .jpeg. It could be my facebook, but if I leave it as a .pmg file, facebook doesn’t always want to play nice with the image.
- How to Deal with Writer’s Doubt and the If-Then-Loop – Jenna McGuiggan of the Word Cellar. I’m not sure that I face doubt in the way that McGuiggan is talking about; my doubt is much more that I am a writer at all…despite these practices that say, yes – you are a writer. You might not be writing stories or poems or whatever, but you are a writer.
I hope you’ll work through or just leave behind those doubts you’ve been feeling. I say “leave behind,” as though I know how to do that myself. Let’s be honest: Doubt is part of the creative process. Hell, it’s part of life, I suppose.
Yes, definitely a part of the creative process; working hard to not let it derail me.
- How to Make your Blog look Professional (Without Going Broke) – Sarah Von Bargen. Some great tips here as I look to redesign my site and go with a different theme that will hopefully address some of the issues that I am having and that have been noted in usability surveys.
- Do It Anyway – Sara Benincasa on Medium. It feels like the Universe put this link in my twitter feed just to remind me that I’ve got to go for it, reach for the brass ring – do it. It’s something my creativity coach said to me recently – we can’t wait until it’s just right or we’re ready. We sometimes have to just jump in.
Even when you’re afraid—especially when you’re afraid—you’ve got to do it anyway.
I’m always afraid. There are so many things that I do in spite of and despite of my fears. I’m not sure why I am continuing to hold back on making a new path for myself. I told SH this evening that whether I had a job on the Coast or not at the end of this school year, I was going to be submitting my resignation and working to figuring out how to help support our family here at our home…on the Coast. I’m going to do it anyway.
- The Facade of No Doesn’t Even Exist – Dani Magestro. There are a lot of things that I am afraid to do, that I tell myself I can’t do…but most of them aren’t on the “Things I’ll Never Do List” so time to let it go.
- Selfies as a Spiritual Path with Our Bodies As Guide – Vivienne McMaster. The more I work with the camera, the more comfortable I am turning it on myself, the more comfortable I am with myself.
- I Implore You: Do Not Dumb Down – Danielle LaPorte. So much truth and power in these statements.
It’s painful to dumb down. It hurts your heart, and it chomps at your integrity.
Every time you play dumb your muse decides to make herself a little less available to you. Don’t fuck off your muse. Those creative types are sensitive.
You have a gift. It’s your truth. Honour it and it will honour you — with every kind of fulfillment.
Those were the things that made something light up inside of me for some reason or another. What did you read this week that was of interest to you? Share it with me as I’m always looking for a new blog or article to read!