Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life.
This week there are many things for which to be thankful.
- An answer to some questions. I’ve been worried about some symptoms I’ve been experiencing lately – very worried – this weekend I put a few things together and realized that all of those symptoms appeared or intensified right around the time that I began taking some new medications. When I looked up the side effects of those medications, the symptoms I’ve been experiencing are listed. That is a relief. I have an appointment next week with my doctor and hopefully there is a relatively easy fix for all of this.
- Movement. While it is only a small start, the last two mornings, I’ve gotten up at 5:45…yes, you read that right…5:45…in order to get out the door and go for a half hour walk. I spend a lot of time sitting. And I need to move my body. Once I’ve gotten up and gotten going, I’m not unhappy to be awake. But the getting up is difficult. Worth it. But difficult.
- Technology. There are all kinds of technology tools that are helping me keep track of my health and all the things that I need to monitor in order to take control of it. On my phone I can track my physical activity, log the calories I consume, and keep track of my vital signs. All important as I do my best to take control of my health.
- Support. When I talked to the sweet husband about the need for us to get into better shape and to begin eating better, he wasn’t totally happy about that idea, but he understands what we need to do. There’s also a whole slew of people that I work with who are on this same journey so there’s lots of support going on right now, and I appreciate that. Particularly when it’s getting towards the late afternoon and I’m starving…considering making a poor decision.
- Breakfast. I’ve been making it. I don’t always get to eat it. But I’m making it.
- Sleep. I’m not sure what or why, but I’ve been sleeping as of late. I’m willing to take it wherever and however I can get it.
- Massage. Tonight for the first time in a long time, there was a slot available in clinic. I needed it. And I need some more work, but I’ll take what I got tonight.
For what are you thankful this week? What blessings are you counting?