Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Our families. Without the Sner’s help, we wouldn’t be in the house, and without Sweet Husband’s parents, we wouldn’t have a yard that looks like people actually live here. They came down this past weekend and did a ton of work in the feels-like-99 heat. There is a whole huge pile of debris in front of our house that is the result of a day worth intense work. We aren’t all the way done, but there is a good start on what needs to happen. We wouldn’t be anywhere near where we are without the parents’ help. (I promise pictures are coming. When things are more set-up and orderly)
- Sweet Husband. He’s been sick – & I’m sick now too – but he’s been working hard to get everything finished up. He’s been patient with me when I’ve been extremely grouchy. I know this will probably come as a surprise to some of you, but I can be extremely grouchy…unpleasantly so. I’m not the easiest person to live with, and when I’m in a funk, he is understanding and works very hard to make me happy.
- The New House. Even though it is no where near ready for the party we will be having in a few short days, and I’m anxious and nervous about all the things that are coming up (the issues with the electrical, the privacy fence we have to build because the Bourbon doggie is an idiot and charged through the chain link fence, etc), I’m loving this new place & space. I haven’t carved out my “spot” yet but I will soon.
- The Supreme Court of the United States. I am so thrilled by their decisions regarding both the Affordable Care Act and marriage equity. I know that there is a huge segment of the country that is upset by those decisions but it makes my heart happy to see us granting rights and privileges to those who should have had them all along. There is still a long way to go, but it is a good first step.
- Rest. Even though it has been forced, I’ve slept the better part of the last two days. I think I’m ready to get back to work and settled into the business that I know needs to be at hand – getting this house in order, finding a job, etc.
- Summer. I love being able to move to my own rhythms – the rhythms that are most natural to my body and soul. I love the late nights and even the early mornings.
Those are what’s on my list this week. What is making your list?