Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Vacation. As a teacher, there are few benefits, but the greatest one is the vacation time that we get. I don’t want to talk about how teachers get 3 months off in the summer because we don’t by the time you take away the the professional development days and figure we don’t get out until the beginning of June and go back at the end of July. But. We get this week at Thanksgiving, and I am incredibly grateful for this time away from work. A whole week of it.
- Another looming vacation. When we go back to work on December 1, there will be three weeks before we are off for the two week holiday break. The fall is a long slog in education; it is nice to have this time off to look forward to.
- Sweet Husband. It is so nice to be home with him this week, snuggling up with our puppies. He has done a really good job of arranging things to make me happy. He also is really good about making the decisions that are best for our family – even if we want to do something else.
- Friends. We got to spend time with friends last night, and it was really good to see them. There was a lot of discussion about our annual Dirty Santa party, and while it might not be on the same night that we traditionally have it, it will be great to get together with everyone.
- Downtime. I got to spend much of the weekend by myself. As much as I love SH, it is occasionally really nice to to move to no rhythms but my very own.
- Rest. There is so much that I have to get done, so many things I had planned to do over this week break, but I’ve chosen to prioritize rest. I’m sure that I will be kicking myself for that at some point next week when everything I should have done comes crashing down on me, but right now, the four hour nap I took this evening seemed to be the exact thing I needed…and I don’t regret it one bit.
- Cobbler. My sweet puppy with the every increasing white around her snout, who has struggled a little the last few weeks, but who is always forever my girl. I love her so much. Such a good doggie.
- Calm. There’s a lot of chaos in the world right now. I don’t want to minimize all that is going on in this country or the wider world, but I can only handle what is in front of me. I can’t fix the situation in Ferguson and I can’t history of race relations in this country. I can, however, create calm and understanding in my life. We can be kind to our neighbors and help them when they need assistance; I can work with the students in my classrooms – continually illuminating a different path for them to walk.
- Thanksgiving. I love that we get an entire holiday dedicated to nothing but gratitude.
For what are you thankful this week? What blessings are you counting? Let me know in the comments!