Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- A weekend at home, with little to do. Sweet Husband and I seem to go-go-go, and while there is nothing inherently wrong with that, occasionally it wears a body down, particularly when we are go-go-going in opposite directions. It was nice to be home together, just relaxing.
- Celebrating with friends. One of my dear friends (whom I don’t get to see enough…because I don’t make time for her. *sigh*) got married on the 16th. It was an honor to be included with her family and the very small, close-knit group of friends as she and her husband embarked on the beginnings of their new life. There’s just something about weddings, y’all. Gotta love them. (especially when they’re not mine!)
- And speaking of weddings and marriage – Sweet Husband and the easiness that is our relationship. It’s not to say that we don’t have our issues because we most certainly do. But we trust and respect each other, don’t try to control each other, and are considerate enough to work to make things better when there is a problem. As SH said to me this weekend, “I’m thankful for our marriage. The little things that annoy me – are just that: little things.” It’s true. There are things we can work on, things we can make better, but on the whole, I think we’ve both made wise choices and are enjoying the decisions we’ve made.
- Community. I’m grateful for the connections I’ve made and am making.
- The Sner. She’s far away, but her support means a whole lot. I know that she wishes things were different, but I’ll take them where they are and be happy about it.
- My in-laws. It’s a lot to open your house to someone else. I’m lucky they are willing to help us make this arrangement work.
- Royals baseball. Did I mention that we’re going to the World Series? and that it starts today? SH was supposed to be getting me a ALCS t-shirt, but until it arrives, I’ll keep rocking my George Brett jersey…and being thankful for the rewards of patient…if grudging…fandom. I can’t wait for us to win it all!
- Dallas Cowboy football. Really? How is it that they are doing so well and looking so good? I would have never guessed based on our game 1 performance and the injured players we have. The only sad thing about this 6 game winning streak is that it means Jason Garrett will get a contract extension…and he is not the man.
- My boss. I’ve had good bosses and bad bosses. My current boss is a great one. I appreciate her flexibility and accessibility.
- The front porch. I’ve been neglecting it, but for whatever reason, it hasn’t been neglecting itself. The plants are doing excellent…even after not having been watered in 2 weeks. It’s going to be even better when SH gets the lights hung and the muscadine vines trimmed up this week.
Those are the things that are making my short-list this week. For what are you thankful? What blessings are you counting? In what ways are you practicing gratitude this week?