Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Family. It’s always a blessing to have them, but it’s also really lovely when they show just how much you mean and how much things matter to them.
- Football. Even though our teams had a craptastic weekend, it’s great to have it back. We enjoy getting together with friends and family and watching a game. Even if we lose spectacularly.
- Good hair days. If you follow me on Instagram or are my friend on Facebook, you know I had not one, but two (!) of them this weekend. Don’t judge me. If you’ve seen my high school yearbook photos you know that good hair days are HUGE steps in the right direction in my life. They happen so rarely that they should be celebrated with nothing short of champagne and parades (I settled for Appleritas and likes on social media. Don’t tell anyone, but I’m easy like that).
- The Royals. Lord, please let us make it deep into the post-season. Please. OK – it doesn’t even have to be deep – I just want to be in the post-season. It’s been 29 (!!!!!) years. In an over all crappy sports weekend, taking the series from the Yankees was a lovely surprise. Losing to the Tigers when the Tigers are right behind us in the chase wasn’t the smartest thing we’ve ever done, so let’s turn that around, shall we?
- The puppies. I really miss them during the week. That Cobbler doggie is so very sweet and even though she is getting older, there are moments when she is just a tiny puppy again. This weekend, Sweet Husband had gone to bed about half an hour before I did, and she climbed up in the bed with him. When I finally came in, she was not moving from my spot. Apparently she thought that if she buried her head in the blankets, she wouldn’t have to move. If we’d been home in our king size bed, that might have worked. She wound up parking herself between his legs, which I’m sure was not a comfortable sleep for him but was great for her.
- Friends. The rock pecks on my windshield are finally fixed! Thanks Matt Thompson!
- Left-overs. I’m totally grubbing on left-over potato salad and baked beans with meat for lunch (thanks Thompsons for leaving them with me!), and when I got home last night, it was left-over corn dip and chicken tenders for dinner. It might not be the healthiest thing ever, but it was easy…and it was good.
- Quiet Days. It’s been a relatively quiet few days at alternative school. I’ll take it.
- Rest. I slept in Saturday morning. 7:00 might not seem like sleeping in, but it was an was forever late for me, considering when I normally crawl out of bed in the morning.
- Clever Cookie School of Blog. The lessons officially start this week, but the community that is springing up around it is already awesome.
- Sweet Husband. Even when he’s frustrating, he has a good heart. I do love him so.
Tell me what you’re thankful for this week. What blessings are you counting?