Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- A 3-Day weekend. I cannot tell you how good it was to be at home, even if only briefly and even if I spent the majority of the time doing work. I was at home. With my puppies and my Sweet Husband, relaxing and enjoying the life that I want to live on a regular basis.
- Pay day. There was a slight raise on this month’s check, and coincidentally, today after school we had a meeting with a retirement planner. I’d meant to set up an account with these folks last year, but I’m definitely planning to do it this year. We were getting by just fine before that raise came in; it can go straight into that retirement fund where, in the long run it will do us so much better.
- Sweet Husband. I know he really wanted me to go with him to our friends’ yesterday, but I also know that he recognized how stressful it would have been for me to not have stayed home and gotten done the things I did. He was also sweetly contrite for the state of the house when we arrived home, apologizing for having had a long, hard week. He knows what I came from; he knows that a dirty house is a huge trigger for me. He’s working on getting better. I can’t ask for more from him.
- An amazing colleague. Not going to lie – working in alternative school is no joke, although for me in a lot of ways, it’s the easiest teaching gig I’ve ever had. Not everyone is cut out for alternative school, though, and I’m supremely grateful for the colleague across the way. We know that we have to be on it, and I can count on him to have my back and do whatever needs to be done. We make a really good team.
- My in-laws. I know it’s not easy having a semi-permanent houseguest. SH and I couldn’t make this work without their help and support.
- Better health. Even though I got bit by another spider this weekend, I’m feeling better this week. I’m hopeful that I can get back into the work-out groove and keep making progress on those goals that I have set for myself. Last week was misery.
- Royals baseball. It might be an odd thing for which to be thankful, but you have to understand – as a Royals fan, I’ve been waiting 25 years for a serious run at the post-season. I’m excited and nervous and much more interested in what’s going on with baseball than I am with what will happen with my football team.
- Good times with good friends. We had a great time in Starkville Saturday. I’m glad that we got to go, and I’m glad we got to go with the people that we did.
- Possibility. I keep saying this, but I almost feel like I need to speak it into life. I feel like I’m on the tip of something big. I know the changes are going to take an immense amount of work on my part, and I know it’s not going to be easy, but that’s OK. I can deal with that. It feels good to be making decisions to move forward.
For what are you grateful and thankful this week? What blessings are you counting? Let me know in the comments!