Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things get counted as blessings:
- Time to myself. I’m an extroverted introvert. And I need much more time alone than I really ever get. This weekend, I had Friday night and most of Saturday. I didn’t do anything spectacular -but I had downtime and moments to myself. It was spectacular.
- The Sner. It is fabulous to have someone totally in your corner. I say I want to do something, and the answer is OK.
- Sweet Husband. Just like my Sner, he’s always on my side. We might have a few disagreements about how to get where we are going, but I know that I can count on him to support me. We’ve been doing a bit of long-term planning lately, and I’m excited about where we are heading.
- The helpers. By now, I am sure that everyone is well aware of the shifts that have happened in our world since Friday night. I am appalled and saddened by the response – the xenophobia and terrible anger – but then I remember the Fred Rogers quote – about looking for the helpers. The response of the people of Paris…opening their doors, taking in strangers, being resolute. It is a reminder to me that even in times of turmoil, there are those with great courage and love.
- A backyard fire. I sat in the backyard Saturday night, built a fire, put some Allen Toussaint on, and sipped bourbon as I watched the years burn away. As the flame danced, it was soothing and calming – a balm for the soul.
- My tribe. I’ve discovered a few very important people…who’s judgement I trust and whom are incredibly supportive. I’m also hoping to find a few more to add to the stable in the coming weeks.
- Puppies that sleep in. After a fire and bourbon on Saturday night, I might have needed to sleep in a little. Usually that doesn’t happen because they think they need to go out and have breakfast….between 6:00 & 6:30. This weekend they slept until 9:30. I guess being out by the fire tuckered them out too.
- The holiday count-down. It’s coming. 3 more days and we’re off for a week. I. Am. So. Ready.
That’s what is making my list this week – what’s on yours?