Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things get counted as blessings:
- Rain. It’s funny – when I first started coming to Mississippi in the summers, I used to send emails home to Nevada that said “Welcome to Hattiesburg, the Seattle of the South” because every afternoon, you’d get this little half hour – hour thunderstorm roll up. We haven’t had that happen this summer. We’re under a burn ban, which is just unacceptable considering that it is bonfire season. But it started raining Sunday – the remnants of Hurricane Pamela passing through. We’ve had tropical storm force winds blow through, and there’s some damage to one of our outbuildings, but on the whole…we’re just happy to have had some rain.
- Sweet Husband. He was super tired on Sunday, but he got up and went around the house hanging photos for me. My gallery wall is put together (although I did just order more prints to put on it), and we’ve finally got the bourbon box up on the wall. He also brought me a giant wooden pumpkin to create a fall scene in the yard. Don’t know if I’m going to get around to actually painting it and putting the scene together before Halloween, but he brought it home just in case and because he thought I’d like it. Sweet, thoughtful boy.
- Time to myself. I forget how important it is for me to have some extended time to myself. Saturday while SH was in Starkville with his daddy for the State game, I made my way to Bay St. Louis and wandered around the shops. Even though I wished SH was with me, it was nice to go in to the shops that I wanted, consider the purchases that I wanted without thinking about whether it was a silly purchase or too much. I took myself for a late lunch and really just enjoyed the afternoon. It’s been awhile since I last did that.
- Family. I’ve got a pretty great family – I married into an awesome one, and my Sner is awesome – but I also have all these people that while not technically not family, ARE family. I’m blessed to have wonderfully supportive people in my life. Couldn’t do this things without them.
- The puppies. While their daddy was away this weekend, they were actually loving and sweet to me. Usually they ignore me because I am not him. But this weekend, they were all about me (I think it might have been because of the storm coming through). They were also HILARIOUS doggies this weekend. Romping around, playing like young doggies, being super sweet. That’s why we love them!
- Kansas City Royals baseball. We’re back in the World Series – first game tonight! I’m so excited I can hardly stand it. I LOVE baseball. I enjoy football, but baseball? Give me baseball any day of the week. I hope it’s a competitive series…& I hope we win it 😉
That’s what has made my list this week. What’s on yours? What blessings are you counting?