Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Summer Break. This is the last week, and while I am slightly (perhaps extremely) bitter that when it is hotter than balls outside, we are having to go back to work inside, I’m grateful to have had the break. As Sweet Husband says, he’s never had a summer break – and he’s been a teacher for three years now. I realize that most people don’t have this time, and I’m thankful for it. The two years that I worked outside of K-12 education made me realize what a blessing it is.
- A job. It’s not the one I want, and I’m still holding out hope for something much, much closer to home. But in the meantime, I have a job. One that pays pretty decently. And I am grateful and thankful for that, for the chance to be working in education at all because when I first moved home to Mississippi, I couldn’t find a teaching job to save my soul. Louise Hay says to give thanks for the things in your life that cause you stress or aren’t exactly the way you want them to because those things are preparing you for what you do want. So I give thanks for the job that I have (& I hope that something else is in the offing).
- Sweet Husband. He really is the best. I’m not the easiest person to live with. I have some epic mood swings and can be difficult. It is frequently confusing to him, but he rolls with it and goes above and beyond to pull me out of whatever funk I’m in. I couldn’t ask for better.
- Time with friends. I got to see another of my girlfriends last week! I enjoyed spending time with her and making my way to a few places I haven’t been yet. One benefit of working away this coming fall is that I’ll have time (hopefully!) to spend with my girlfriends.
- Conversations with friends. I’ve never been much of a talker on the phone, even though when I was a teenager my dad insisted I have my own phone & phone line in my room so I wouldn’t be tying up his (he raised 4 daughters before he got to me). I do a lot of texting and a lot of emailing. Sometimes, though, a phone call just hits the spot.
- Cheap furniture finds. A couple of weeks ago we found an awesome deal on furniture for the mancave. This weekend I spied a dresser with a ton of potential. Last night Sweet Husband said I could have it. Best part? Dresser and mirror for $30. I’ve got an awesome idea for it. I hope that it works out…and if it does? I can’t wait to show it to y’all!
- Photography. I got out this weekend and got some fantastic shots that I’ll be sharing with you tomorrow and for Photo Friday. AND there’s a group shoot with the Photography Club tonight that I plan on attending. It’s a good thing because with school starting, I need a bank of photos to draw on. Here’s a preview of what you’ll be seeing the next few days:
- Slightly cooler temperatures. I was able to work on painting furniture in the garage last night. I just had the box fan going, and while I did sweat, I didn’t die. All a plus.
What blessings are you counting this week? For what are you thankful? I hope there’s so much that you can hardly stand it!
Where I’m linking up.