Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel…and today marks the 100th edition of Tuesday Thanksgiving. I’ve been doing this feature for almost 2 years. Wow – time flies.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Air conditioning. It is incredibly hot down here right now. And our AC is working overtime…although not putting in as much as the unit at the old house. We got our first power bill in, and I am pleasantly surprised and pleased. If we were at the old house, it would have been at least twice, perhaps more like three times, what we are paying now. Which might make up for the shitty electrical system we have.
- Speaking of that – honest contractors. We’ve now spent $1500 getting the electrical in our kitchen straight. There’s probably another 5 hours of work to go, which will be another $400-500. And then there will be the rest of the house to tackle, but that won’t happen for awhile because we are going to have to save for it. We’re looking at probably $2,000-4,000 (It took them an hour to pull wire for the fridge – no rational reason for why the wire wouldn’t go where it was supposed to. So fixing other issues isn’t cut and dry, which is why there’s such a swing in pricing). Our electrician said that if he had known what he was getting in to, he would have told us to find someone else. It’s that bad. He’s committed to us, though, and will be ready to pick back up when we are.
- Sweet Husband. He’s the Walking Wounded with sprained tendons in a wrist due to work and a gout flare. He’s still taking care of me, though. Still worried about everything that has to get done and not wanting me to do the things he can’t.
- Rest. I don’t sleep a whole lot, and occasionally it catches up to me. I went to bed early Saturday night and went back to be after I let the doggies out Sunday morning. I never do that. Never. And I took a huge nap Sunday afternoon. I suppose I need to take advantage of it while I still can.
- Our new vet. Bourbie had to go in because he’s been shaking his head a lot and the last couple of days he’s been listless. The new vet got down on the floor with the big guy and was very thorough. Bourbie apparently has a yeast infection – in his ears. The vet brought me back to the back and let me look under the microscope at exactly what was growing in the poor doggie’s ears. And then he told me that while he was going to give me a prescription to kill the problem now, he told me what to get at the local discount pharmacy to to prevent it from now on.
- New friends. I’m making all sorts of connections. I’m loving where things are heading, and I’m totally appreciative of the support.
Now that’s what’s topping my charts. What’s good in your life?