Each week, I read a variety of blogs and articles online. Many of them prompt thoughts or reactions or a desire to do better or make a change. I share the best ones with you here each Saturday.
This week’s gems are:
- The Perfectionist’s Guide to Setting (realistic) Goals – Chimerikal. It occurs to me that instead of reading endlessly about how to best set goals perhaps I really just need to set goals and go get them done. The problem with that is that I’m usually not all that successful. Two things stand out about this list: Cut your goals by 50% (so they are not quite so over-whelming) and Leave Room for Useless Activities. Sometimes it’s nice to have some built-in screw-around time. My problem comes in creating a little to much of that screw around time.
- A Particular Kind of Self-Care: To a Year of Female Friendships – The Hairpin. I’ve got some wonderful contingency of female friends. Some *incredible* women that I have known for decades now – Cari and Shannon and Amber (whom I really need to call and catch up with) – and others who’s tenure in my heart has been shorter but are just as important and powerful in my life. I miss them. I’m putting in place a few things to keep me in touch with some of them. I need to figure out how to get more face time with more of them. I’m thinking about bi-monthly girlfriend parties or something. Y’all have any ideas?
- Brunch at Sarabeth & Culivating a Kula – Love.Life.Eat. As I’m trying to figure out who I am and what I’m doing, these lines ressonate:
It’s good to me on speaking terms with the people you used to be, but it’s even better to fall in love with the woman you’re becoming.
- 37 Before 37 – Christina Rosalie. I love this annual list that Christina puts together. Some wonderful goals for a year. I am inspired to put a reminder on my calendar to set a reminder to create a similar list before my next birthday. I’ve been having some difficulty remembering how old I’m going to be this year. I think it’s going to be 38. Yup. 38. *sigh*
- 10 Ways to Switch Into Writing Mode When Working From Home – ProBlogger. I really like the “create a ritual” idea. I think I’ve made it no secret that I’m struggling this year with getting myself together, finding regular inspiration and making my way here to write on a regular basis. Getting up is difficult, but I miss those routines that ground my days and my practice. I’m beginning to formulate a plan for how to get back there (I’ve said that before), but I’m starting to see where I can change things and create space for the things that matter to me.
- Winter Woods – Finding Serendipity. As we have finished what I have affectionately called a “snowliday” – 3 days out of school due to a freak southern ice storm, these images of winter woods are comforting and beautiful.
- 5 Tips for Better Travel Photography – Treasure Tromp. I didn’t click through for this guest post from Amy of Club Narwhal, but I’m glad I did. I carry my camera with me lots of places, and then I’m kind of clueless as to what I want to capture when I’m there. I like these tips – they give me places to begin organizing my thoughts and my options. (I think the overwhelm is what gets to me. So many things to take pictures of that I don’t know where to start)
- February Monthly Happy List – Do What You Love for Life. Keep track of all the wonderful things that happen in February!