Each week, I read a wide variety of blog posts and articles across the internet. I wander here and wander there and before I know it I’ve spent an eternity avoiding all the work that I should have been doing by reading other people’s writing. I share my favorites here with you each week. Enjoy!
- 15 Things Anyone Who Loves a Woman with Anxiety Should Know – Emma Gray for Huffington Post. My anxiety is an odd thing…I don’t have to deal with it often, but when I do – whew. Look out.
- Literary Louisiana – Jennifer Moses for the New York Times. I have a love affair with New Orleans and writing. One of my dreams is to one day live there and write. Until then, though, I’ll take Mississippi.
- 5 Lessons Learned from the Grace of Landscapes – Karen Hutton. All of these resonate with me, but this one is particularly poignant.
Water taught me this one too: your path is unique, never stop following it. Water doesn’t worry if it’s on the right path. It just flows – and things are revealed along the way. (NOTE TO SELF: Revel in the revelations!) It doesn’t question if it’s on the right path, the most profitable one, the fastest one, or if it’s as good as the one Bob over there is on… there is an implacable ISness to the path that water takes.
- Why I Took a Full-Time Job – Create as Folk. As I look for work at home, this hits home for me. I am not getting picky because at this point I don’t think I can afford to be picky, but I am opening other possibilities as I know that what I am doing right now is not what I want to be doing indefinitely…& I know it doesn’t allow me the opportunity to do what my heart wants me to do.
- If You Want to Be Light, You Have to Let Go – Be More With Less. This is incredibly true, and I know it, particularly the bit about how our worry & anxiety doesn’t just affect us. I just have difficulty putting it into practice.
- Alchemy – Do What You Love. A free webinar series, exploring how you go from dreams to reality – running April 27 – May 3rd. Sign-up now!
- Why Getting Serious About Your Goals is the Key to Achieving Your Dreams – also from Do What You Love. Some great videos here and some real food for thought.
- We All Have Permission to Be a Work in Progress – Yes and Yes! Thank goodness because I’m frequently riding the struggle bus. *sigh* I need to do more work rather than just beating myself up about not getting it right.
None of us will be perfect 100% of the time – and we shouldn’t expect ourselves to be. It’s not kind, realistic, sustainable, or particularly interesting. But it’s called a work in progress, not a make-a-list-you-then-ignore in progress or a give-up-after-one-try in progress.
- Why Starting Later is a Bad Idea – Firework People. I think the Universe is trying to tell me something. The thing is, though – I gotta take care of us in the meantime – see the post from Create as Folk.
- 10 Things You Must Give Up to Get Yourself Back on Track – Marc and Angel Hack Life (thanks for sharing Jill!) I think my biggest struggles are 9, 10, & 6. In that order.
- I Call All of My Power Back to Me Now – Danielle LaPorte. I can think of several instances where this will be powerful and helpful in my life. You?
- The Power of Kindness – Susannah Conway. I’m in the place where I’m on accepting those things about myself that aren’t quite so pleasant. I know that doing so is key to moving forward.
Self-love doesn’t require us to be perfect. It merely asks us to be open to accepting the truth of who we are — the light and the dark — and to actively extend the sort of kindness we’d give to a cherished loved one.
- A Simple, Powerful Self-Compassion Method – Zen Habits. It doesn’t have to be as hard as we make it, does it?
- How to Stand Up for Yourself – Your Courageous Life. This is great advice. I’m getting better at just walking away.
- Learning Unexpected Lessons on Our Honeymoon – Eve Sturges for A Practical Wedding. I frequently find myself locked into old, unproductive, even harmful habits in the course of my life and my marriage, but I’m learning to trust where I am an the differences in where I’ve been.
- Really, Really Good Books to Add to Your Library List – Maxabella Loves. Since Sweet Husband now has his own Kindle, I’m looking forward to doing a bunch of reading on mine…since I know how to access the library’s ebooks now 😉
- Fall in Love With Writing: Watch These Inspirational Videos – Write to Done. For when you’re in the struggle and the words aren’t coming.
- Grandma’s Houses – Hello Neverland. This is beautiful. Not quite like my piece about Billings, but it feels much the same to me.
- Variations on the Word Sleep – Judy Clement Wall. Another gorgeous drawing of an incredible poem.
- 5 Hacks that Help Keep Our Marriage Sane – Maddie Eisenhart for A Practical Wedding. One of the reasons that I continue to read APW is that it’s not just about planning a wedding; it’s about creating a strong, healthy marriage AND life as a woman. This post has some great information. I’ve been thinking about YNAB for quite awhile. I think we may need to go on and do it.
- The Frustration of Being a Beginner – Life Less Bullshit. There is so much wisdom in this post.
I still feel the urge to hold something back, because then if I fail I’ll have a clear reason to point to. I’ll have a scapegoat.
This is me exactly right now. There a few things that I NEED to be doing, but I hold back, knowing that when it doesn’t happen (and of course it can’t happen because I haven’t given myself fully to it), I will totally have something to blame – that I wasn’t all-in. I did this with my dissertation. I’m doing it again now.
- How to Be With the Natural Cycles of Expansion and Contraction – Jennifer Louden. I feel like this at the end of the weekend. Is it wrong to make that comparison?
So much good stuff this week! What have you read that made you stop and pause or excited you?