I read a lot of blog posts during the week – I kind of consider them like a little retreat during the beginning, middle, or end of a day – thus the title of this series of posts – weekly retreats. I try to remember to collect the best of them here for you each week so you can be as entertained or prodded or as moved as I am.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- 10 Resolutions for a Saner Internet – and Life – Jane Friedman. Numbers 8 & 10 could definitely make a difference in my life.
- On Familiar Terms – You’ll Shoot Your Eye Out. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos of the Charles Bridge in Prague. I want to go and see it all!
- Your Year of Microadventure – Alastair Humphreys for Do What You Love for Life. I kinda love this idea. I’m mulling over how exactly this looks for us.
- 5 Weird Ways to Recharge Your Soul – Smaggle. I like these ideas…particularly the idea of creating a ritual to signal the end of your day. I almost always come home and put on my PJs. it’s a good thing.
- Patience and Mama Birds – Karen Hutton. I needed to hear this.
Maybe you have to sit on those eggs longer than anybody thought. Passersby may walk by and shake their head, thinking you’re on a fool’s folly. YOU may think you’re on fool’s folly in the dead of night when you can’t sleep for all the thoughts spinning round and round your head. (I’m not talking about myself here. Nope, not at all. Smile.) But sit on those eggs you must, because while your patience may or may not result in baby chicks… if you DON’T sit on the eggs, you will DEFINITELY be chick-less.
- 30 Life Things I Try to Always Remember – Girl Lost in the City. 19, 26, 27, 31, but especially 32. I know I need to figure out something else. I hope that 2015 brings me some clarity.
- 14 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Starting a Book Project – Alexandra Franzen. I’m not ready to write a book.
- …and this from Franzen as well: Why Do You Care. A great reminder. Sometimes people don’t want or need advice or suggestions. What they really need is someone to appreciate and support, encourage.
- 25 Writing Hacks from a Hack Writer – Delilah S. Dawson for Terrible Minds. I was going to go through and pick out a few of these to highlight but I found myself nodding my head to almost all of them. So. Yes. (Thanks for sharing Susannah!)
- It’s Time to Forgive Yourself – Life Less Bullshit. I have a terrible habit of getting stuck in a loop – of just playing the same bad decision over and over in my head. I can hear the conversations; I know exactly where it went wrong, and it’s so very difficult to let it go. But it’s time to forgive myself for the decisions I made 10 or 15 years ago because they are the past.
- …to go along with that, Please Don’t Punish Yourself – Danielle LaPorte. It’s difficult to not do this. So, so difficult.
- 9 Things We Don’t Owe Anybody– Suzie81 Speaks. I really love #4 & #6.
- 10 Habits You Should Pick Up from Your Grandmother – Melissa Bryer for Mother Nature Network. These are some great suggestions. Sweet Husband and I are working on getting simpler and more natural.
- On Knowing – Kat McNally. Such a beautiful tradition…and such beautiful thoughts.
- How to Be Less Judgmental & More Empathetic – Yes & Yes. I struggle with this. When I think about such incredibly poor decisions, it kills me how obvious it appears to me. But. I have been there.
I can’t see into that person’s morning or their week or their life. I don’t know what lead them to that express lane with 35 items, but I can make space to acknowledge that maybe this is what their best looks like today.
Amen to this. I have to remember that everyone is doing their best…and our best is different at different moments.
Posts You May Have Missed this Week
- Reverb 15 – UNGoals for 2015 – what goal are you NOT pursuing this year?
- (Almost) Wordless Wednesday – Merrehope – not exactly the Merrehope house, but another treasure I found on the grounds
- I Still Miss Someone – Friends – a response to a prompt from Mama’s Losin’ It…about the person I’d like to spend more time with
- Photo Friday – See Mississippi – Meridian’s Union Station – photos of downtown meridian’s historic Union Station