Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life.
There are many things for which to be grateful:
- Health. I’ve spent the last two days suffering with a migraine. I’m sure it has something to do with the fact that I didn’t take my medication for three days, but it’s been terrible. I’ve spent much of the last two days asleep. When I woke up Monday morning to get ready to go to work, the pain shooting out of my left eyeball was so severe that I literally could not see out of that eye. I had no choice but to take my medication and try to let it do its thing. Have I mentioned that I hate to take that particular medication? I do. At any rate, going down for 2 days with a migraine is no picnic, but it has provided me with the opportunity to rest. I guess my body needed it. And I’m thankful for being able to take it. I’m also looking forward to getting back to my work tomorrow.
- My doctor. I had an appointment with him this morning anyway, but it was particularly good that I was seeing him today. I had to wait almost 2 hours to see him (for which he gave me a $10 Subway gift card), but we had a good conversation. I think we’re on the right track. I think we’re putting together a good plan to get me healthy enough to try again to conceive this fall.
- Family. We were able to spend a good amount of time with Matt’s parents this weekend, and we had fun with them. I’ve mentioned before that I’m blessed to be part of an incredible family. I love my husband enormously, and part of his attraction is this wonderful family structure that comes with him. I’m glad we got to spend time together.
- Opportunity. I’m exploring options, and I think that there’s something that is an excellent fit for me. I’m making some moves and putting out there into the universe what I want out for the future. I’m imagining how it’s going to look and seeing myself in the role. I’m will hear something within the next week or so (I’m not leaving things open to not hearing about it). It’s good stuff. I’m excited about the possibility and potential.
- Financial Stability. We had to replace the washing machine this weekend. It was $600. We had the resources to replace the washer, and in a week, I’ll be purchasing my new camera. We have the resources to do that as well. We’re not where we want to be exactly. But we’re getting there, and I’m trusting that we’re going to be OK. We need to be more intentional about what we’re doing, but we’re going to be OK.
- Exercise. I got quite a bit of exercise done in the last week. I’m looking forward to getting back to it in the morning and adding in some kettlebell work tomorrow night. Our bodies are meant to move. I’ve not been doing mine any favors by keeping it still. It is forgiving, though, and lets me pick up where I last left it. The alarm will go off quite early tomorrow morning, but the trade-off is worth it.
- Teachers. This week is Teacher Appreciation Week. I’ve had some excellent teachers over the years. Mary Brake. Who is no longer with us. Ken Burhmann, whom I wish I knew how to contact because I’d like to tell him thank you. My grandmother Alex. All of those friends who are still in the classrooms and are working hard every day to make a difference in the lives of children who may have no one else to care for them. It’s an incredibly difficult job, and it’s made more difficult by all of the mandates made by people who aren’t working with children on a daily basis, who don’t know the reality of what students need.
For what are you thankful this week? In what ways are you blessed and how can you show your gratitude?