Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life.
This week I’m thankful for Peace. I made a decision this weekend, and even though we’re only two days into this week, I can already feel the effects of that decision working. It’s been a rough week, and there’s been a lot of angst swirling around. There were some moments today. Ones that while they were happening were pretty icky feeling but as they dissipated, I was able to walk away from. There was stress and rancor in the moment, but when the moment was gone, I left it behind. It didn’t follow me home. It didn’t follow me into the rest of my afternoon.
I feel better about where I am.
I feel at peace.
Beyond that feeling of overwhelming peace with where I am and what’s happening in my life, I’m also thankful for the following:
- friends and family who help me realize what’s truly important in this life…and that happens to be them!
- new possibilities. When you feel like things are out of your control, it feels good to take some steps, however small, to do something to bring them back into your control.
- vacation! Our first anniversary is just a few days away now, and we have a trip to celebrate that is even fewer days away! We didn’t take a honeymoon because we couldn’t afford one–either financially or in terms of the time off of work–and to be honest, we really probably can’t afford one now, but we’re taking it anyway. We NEED it.
- my job. As frustrated as I have been by it recently, it still provides me with the opportunity to live a life that is extraordinary and one that I never imagined that I would have.
- my health. I’m still not sure that I’m on the right track, but at the very least I’m not as exhausted as I was. I’m still frequently dizzy. I’m still off-balance and things still don’t feel right. But I’m not to-the-bone-exhausted. And I count that as a win.
For what are you thankful this week? What are the blessings you have received – big or small – in the past week?