Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Our realtor. Over the past week, she’s ridden us around to some 15 houses? And she has patiently researched and made inquiries about every property that I’ve sent her as a possibility for our new home. Now that we’ve found what we think may well be the one, she’s on top of it and working hard for us. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of her help! The last time I bought a house, I was a basket case. I’m still nervous as all heck because this is a huge step, but it’s also a good step.
- Our families. We would not be in the spot we are in right this moment is not for them. My Sner is helping us with the down payment and the closing costs. Sweet Husband’s parents are helping us with other expenses. We couldn’t do this without them, and I am so thankful to have people in our lives who love us so much that they want to help us however they can.
- Sweet Husband. When we went to sign the pre-qualifications papers for our mortgage and again when we signed the offer for the property that we are hoping is our new forever home, he would occasionally reach for my hand. He did it when he could see my anxiety building. We’d talked about it before we started this process, and I told him how being a homeowner had been some of the most anxious times of my life – that I was nervous and filled with anxiety about it again. He told me that he would hold my anxiety for me, and if I felt like I getting too upset, to hold his hand – he’d take that from me. And he did. And when I was upset and literally depressed about the property that he really wanted, he knew something was bothering me but didn’t pry. He’s come to know me well enough to know that I need to process something before I am ready to talk about it – so he gives me that space.
- Summer time. When this post is published, there will be 14 teacher work days left. It is coming. It is getting closer. I can’t wait for time to breathe and think and do the things that I love to do.
- A frank conversation. I had the opportunity to have a long conversation with a supervisor today. I laid it on the line with her, and we found that we were very much in agreement. We ended things with her telling me to let her what I need and she would do whatever she could to help me. And whether I stay or whether I go, she has plans for me.
- My girlfriends. The past two weeks have been stressful for me for many reasons. I’m sure that I have been whiny and needy and a general pain in the ass, but they’ve taken it all in stride. There is a reason why I love them afterall!
- Enough. Even as I am worried and stressed out and we made our first car payment this month (my first ever!), we have enough. the bills are paid. The bills will be paid. We have enough. And as my babies come to me in the after school tutoring program and say to me, “Ms. Dr. Alex, I’m still hungry,” I know what a gift it is to have not just enough but more than enough (those babies break my heart).
I’ve had a lot to be thankful for this week. What is one thing that has made your list during the past week?