Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life.
It’s my birthday week, so I’ve been thinking bigger picture all week. There are a million little things that I’m thankful for each week, but somehow it seems that this week it’s not about the little things. It’s much more about the broad strokes of this life that is better than I ever imagined it would be.
This week I’m thankful for:
- The last year with all of it’s difficulties and challenges and blessings and wonders. I think that Sweet Husband and I have transitioned well to married life. There have been a couple of small bumps, but for the most part, it’s been a pretty smooth transition. I still struggle some with the idea that it’s a partnership and that I need to think about both of us. A life-time of habits can be difficult to break, and Sweet Husband is extremely patient with me.
- The rhythms of a terribly boring life. I get up and take care of myself. Write. Work. Spend time with with my husband. We work in the yard and around the house. Head to the beach on the weekends. It’s nothing glamorous or exciting, but it is extremely good and beautiful. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.
- Creativity. I’m writing and taking photos and feeling more connected to the parts of me that make every day a little more meaningful. I think that I’m decent, but I’m hoping that with some focus and effort, decent turns to good. I don’t want to make a living with my writing and photos (I don’t think), but I want them to vital parts of my life.
- Health. Although I don’t feel good today, I’m thankful for the direction my health is heading. I ran today for the first time several months. It was a hard run. And the next run will be hard too. Perhaps even the one after that too. But eventually they will get easier. And the eating gets easier too. I really wanted to go out for lunch today, but I stuck with my soup. All of those things will keep getting easier, and I’ve been doing them long enough for them to be a habit now. All good.
- Peace. I’m in a good place and I’m OK with where I find myself. There are things that need improving, but I believe those things will work themselves out. And if they don’t…everything else is so wonderful that I can live with there being a slight disconnect in another area.
Those are the biggest ones for me this week. For what are you thankful this week? What blessings are you counting?