Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- The freedom of a lazy weekend. I’m glad there wasn’t anything that had to be done this weekend because I wasn’t getting it done.
- Sweet Husband, who cleaned the house, did the dishes, and cooked this weekend. I’m lucky. He takes care of me and worries about me. I’m glad it’s not just me any more.
- My tribe(s). I’m a member of several different tribes, both in-person and on-line, immediate and distant, new and connected by long-rich histories. I’m so very grateful for the support and love in all of them. Women get bad raps about how they deal with and treat each other, but I’d put the relationships with my tribes up against any in the world.
- Warmer weather. It was cold here last week. It’s warming back up to what we expect of winter in the Heart of Dixie.
- Carnival. Enough said.
- Escape. I watched a documentary about poverty that takes place in communities like the ones I grew up in, and it has stuck with me and bothered me since Saturday night. I am reminded that I am grateful that there were people in my life who recognized that I desperately needed to escape, who did what they had to do in order to get me out (even though I didn’t want to leave), and those who held me together until I could make my exit. My heart breaks for those who are still trapped and who can’t see a way out.
- A new stereo in Josie. SH loves to give practical gifts. Josie’s new voice box was supposed to be my birthday pressie last year but I wound up getting a dryer instead. That’s OK because I’m driving lots again and it’s so very nice to have my music and podcasts available to me (speaking of podcasts – which ones are your favorites? Let me know because I’m looking for good ones to listen to!)
For what are you thankful this week? What blessings are you counting? Share them with us in the comments!