Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life.
The last week or so seem to have been filled with rough days. I’m not sure what the flipped switch is, but whatever it is, I do not like this change. I don’t know that the situations around me have morphed in any way, which means that my tolerance level for whatever the heck is going on is a little lower than it was. I need to find some way to get back to my equilibrium. Perhaps a week and a half of being away from my regular routines is doing this to me. I’m working on getting back there.
With that in mind, tonight, more than ever, there are many things for which to be grateful:
- A routine to get back to. I know what’s good for me. Getting up and walking. Eating healthfully. Writing. Taking photos. Breathing deeply. I just need to slide back into it and allow the routine do exactly what it is designed to do.
- A sweet husband. He told me tonight that he had been worried about me lately. Felt like I was spending a lot of lonely time in my head, which was OK if it’s OK with me. For him, spending lonely time in his head is a scary place, so he worries for me. My thoughts can go to some pretty dark places, but for the most part, I’m good. Whatever I’m thinking about in here is what I need to be thinking about right now.
- Family. My in-laws are amazing. They would do anything for us, and they are so incredibly generous with their time and their abilities. Thanks to their efforts, we have a new flower bed in (that just needs to be mulched) and the corner of the lot that was a wild wasteland is now much cleaner…which means that we have to now begin looking for plants to fill that space.
- Sharp co-workers. I work with some incredibly witty, sarcastic, wonderful women. I love that when I’m having a shit day, they’re right there to commiserate for a moment and then have some snarky comment that’s going to make me laugh.
- Laughter. Even though it was a pretty crappy day with some mental images that I never need again in my life, I laughed so hard at one point this morning that I gave myself a headache.
- Possibility. When I feel stuck – and I’ve been feeling it quite a bit lately – I know that there’s always something I can do. I am not powerless in this situation. There’s always an option, there’s always something that I can do. I don’t have to sit back and wait. I can take some action. Even if the action does not yield the results that I hope, at least I am not passively awaiting my fate.
- Medication. My feet and lower legs look like they belong to me. I think I was thankful for this recently, but it’s amazing. It also puts into perspective how wide my feet are. Having these little ankles and calves really highlights the fact that my feet are like 8″ wide. Whatever. I’ll take it.
- Photography. I am really enjoying my new camera. Even though I lost the lens cap (shhhhhh…don’t tell sweet husband). I can’t wait to go to this workshop on the 22nd and learn more about how to use this puppy.
For what are you thankful this week? What blessings can you count?