Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Heat. When we flip the switch, the furnace comes on…& we’ve needed it to come on the last week or so. Cold weather on the Coast doesn’t come often or stay very long but we aren’t used to it. It’s nice to have the heat work with no worries.
- Weekends at home with the family.
- A sweet husband who thinks of things like buying mums to plant in our flower beds…because he knows that I like them. Even better that he decides to plant them for me. He also did the laundry for me & picked up dinner Saturday night. Perhaps even better though is that he let me skip out on game day activities. He was giving me a hard time about not wanting to go & then he felt my forehead, realizing I was running a fever.
- People Who Believe in Me. I am not at all sure that I am cut out for this new position. There was a question asked in the hallway about things I haven’t studied or heard about in probably 2 decades. I have no idea that I can do this job but everyone I meet seems to think that I can, which means that in those quiet moments, I think I can do it too.
- Family. We have a great one. For everything they do for us, I am extremely grateful.
- Department store sales. I love an extra 15% off 70% clearance, and I love the men’s buy-one-pair-of-pants-get-two-pairs-free sale. (Knocked out a Christmas present with the clearance sale)
- Vacation. Three more days this week, and Sweet Husband and I will have an entire week off together. While teaching isn’t all its cracked up to be, I do enjoy the week off I get at Thanksgiving, the two at Christmas and the one again in the spring. (we aren’t going to talk about the whole summers off thing because I did a whole bunch of work this past summer. Having spent time not teaching, I really do enjoy this part of teaching.
It’s not as long of a list as in weeks past, but it’s not that there are fewer things that I am thankful for. There were other things that I could have added, but I wanted to be intentional this week – to thing big…and in some cases very small.
For what are you thankful this week? What blessings are you counting? Share them with us – blessings shared are blessings multiplied and magnified.