Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Sweet Husband. I’m not sure how I got so lucky, and I know y’all are probably sick of me gushing about him. I can’t help it, though. He’s absolutely the best. Like I said yesterday, he got me a Royals’ t-shirt to celebrate the post-season (and that’s after he ordered me the Romo Makes Me Drink t-shirt), telling me that he looked for one for the Divisional Series but couldn’t find one; when we win the American League Championship, he would get me a shirt for that AND when we win the whole thing, he’d order yet another shirt. Then he told me that instead of going to the Mississippi State/Arkansas game, he’d told his dad that he was going to stay home…because he missed spending time with his wife. That’s huge. State is having an incredible season. He’s gone up to all of those games with his daddy so far this year. He’s willing to skip one because he misses me. I told you: Sweet, Sweet Husband.
- A relaxing weekend. Even though Saturday was hectic with little sleep, I enjoyed the heck out of it.
- A good sports weekend. The Royals won, The Cowboys won, and Mississippi State won. I kinda feel like it might be a sign of the apocalypse. The Royals and the Cowboys have been bad for so long, and now they are both doing well AT THE SAME TIME? Get out!
- A little extra sleep. I can’t tell you how nice it was to not have to get up at 3:00 in the morning yesterday…although, I was so worried about waking up on time that I was awake every hour, looking at the clock. Totally and completely paranoid, which probably defeats the purpose. But whatever.
- Enough. We sat down last night and took care of (mostly) the bills for the month. I could probably write a whole post about how and when and why my relationship with money got skewed, but really all you need to know is that it stresses me out incredibly. Creates major anxiety. I know it’s not kosher to say, but if I could just turn all of the money over to SH and have him give me an allowance, I’d be about the happiest girl in the world. Like I told him, I don’t mind keep track of due dates and how much is due but actually paying and doing all of the rest of it, gives me a heart attack.
- Time to practice the things that feed my soul. I enjoyed my time in New Orleans Saturday morning, and I’m thankful to get to spend time playing around with the things that make me happy. I feel like I’m getting better…things are getting easier.
- Technology that works. When we bought our new computer in the spring, I had a back-up of my old computer on the external hard-drive that SH bought me as a wedding present (best present ever!), but when I transferred the back-up to the new computer, most of my music – closing in on 6,000 songs – was missing. I found the file with all of it this weekend! I cannot tell you how happy that made me. I’ll be loading up the iPhone with all kinds of good stuff here soon.
- Folks who are willing to help. I’m still fighting with WordPress and Facebook, but there have been several people who have stepped in and offered suggestions. Nothing has worked yet, but I’m hopeful that soon we will hit on the answer. In the meantime, I’ve just decided to create graphics to post to Facebook. Seems to be working well.
- A good boss. Working away from home is hard. But it is made easier when you work for someone who is easy-going and supportive. I’ve aid it before, and I’ll say it again – I think I’ve got just about the best situation you could ask for. No complaints from me. I’ve got it good, and I appreciate it.
- Family. SH and I are lucky. We’ve got the best family around – both his side and mine. It’s nice to know that they are there to support us and help us when and where they can.
- Doggie snuggles. Because SH wasn’t home this weekend, I had the puppies to myself. They will lower themselves to loving me if a better option isn’t around…and I will take it. Even though Cobbie really just wanted to go to bed (she’s an old woman now – she wants to go to bed around 9:00…that or SH has her well-trained), I was happy to have her on the couch with me, curled up on my side where I could reach over and give her a little pet.