Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- Sweet Husband. He loves me so very much, and I am not at all sure what I did to deserve him. He is not embarrassed by the intensity of his love, and at no time in our relationship have I ever doubted how he feels about me. It is a precious gift he gives me all the time. I am so very lucky.
- Time alone. It makes a difference in my mental health. Even if I’m not doing anything but sitting on the couch surfing the web, watching whatever is in the DVR que.
- The Royals. Oh. Em. Gee. No seriously – Oh. Em. Gee!!! 29 years. They’ve made us wait 29 years, and while I can’t say that the wait has been worth it, this ride is a thrilling one. I’m grateful.
- Modern medicine. I was ill yesterday with a blinding headache, and to a certain extent, it’s back again today. Then again, I’ve had a headache since we came back from Dallas. I’m thankful for the medicine that allows me to function.
- A few hours in the sunshine.
- Whatever the turn-around in my middle school class has been. I have them 2 periods a day. They are coming in and getting to work. I’m not sure what it is, but they are doing it. They are typically my roughest group.
- Community. I appreciate the folks who have sprung up around me as I am working to make a transition.
- Golden colleagues. I was out yesterday – didn’t plan to be, but it happened – and they, as always, stepped up to the plate and handled business.
- Reliable transportation. I drove an hour and a half this afternoon to make my way to Meridian, and Josie, my almost 23 year old Jeep Cherokee Sport, didn’t even complain once. Gotta say I love that old girl. I think this weekend she needs a good detailing/cleaning out.
- Friends who understand that when you’re busy it’s not a comment on them or your friendship; it’s about the fact that life gets busy.
- Cooler temperatures. Fall is starting to arrive, even here in the Deep South. It’s a beautiful thing because it means that I can get back out and enjoy festivals and the outdoors – things that are difficult to do in the heat of a Mississippi summer.
- The opportunity to sleep in. The next two days I’m in Meridian for a PD, and nothing starts until 8:30. I normally have to be at work at 7:00, and I prefer to get there at 6:30. Those extra 2 hours are going to be absolutely luxurious.
Those are the things that are making my list this week. What blessings are you counting this week? For what are you grateful and thankful? Share it with us and multiply the joy!