Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- My upbringing. I know I’ve said this before, but I’m going to say it again – I’m grateful for a family who did what they could and who loved me in the ways that children need to be loved. It was far from perfect – far from it. But as I listen to the stories that my students tell – momma who essentially lives at her boyfriend’s house, leaving 13 year old daughter at home with her older gang-banger brothers, to find for herself; a high schooler who says that when she grows up and has kids, she’s always going to have food in the house so that when DHS comes, at least they won’t be able to hold that against her; boys who will fight over the tiniest scrap of the nastiest food because when they get home there’s nothing – I am reminded that in the basic and important ways, my family loved me, cared for me, protected me and gave me the best they could. There were moments (there are always moments) and there were more than moments, but through it all, I never doubted that there was always someone somewhere who loved me and was looking out for my best interests.
- A weekend at home. *sigh* I can’t wait for another one. I miss being at home with my puppies and Sweet Husband.
- Slightly cooler temperatures and a break in the rain. My mood is dramatically affected by the weather. It kills me when it’s dreary out. Sometimes it’s more than just mood, though. Sometimes the symptoms are physical – when the weather changes, I get increased seizures and headaches, so I’m glad for a little respite.
- Finding a rhythm. It feels like I’m starting to find a balance in the things I have to do versus the things I want to do.
- Opportunity. It’s short notice, but I’m hopeful that I can pull almost everything together in time to get it done the way it needs to be done.
- Sweet Husband. It’s time to pay bills again, and that means that I experience a world class case of stress (money does that to me). It gives me a great sense of relief to be able to just tick things off “paid” and not have to worry that they’ve actually been paid – because he’s already done it. Also – his birthday is this weekend but he got me a pressie and he’s letting me go on a swamp tour with the photography club.
- Twitter lists. I had one set up, but seriously…how did I not know how life changing it would be to actually use one? It makes seeing my tweets from the people I want to see them from so much easier! Yay!
- Connection. I’m starting to find community and connection, and I feel very supported in the direction that I want to head.
- Productivity. There was a ton of stuff that needed to be done this week and for some reason, the things that normally take me hours have been a breeze.
- A few good photos. Every once in awhile, I catch a few.
For what are you grateful this week? What blessings are you counting? Tell me, what is making your short (or long) list this week?