Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life.
There are many things for which to be grateful:
- That I do not live in Tornado Alley. While I do live in the South, and we are no strangers to severe weather, it is an isolated event. It’s not something that happens to us again and again. My heart is broken for Moore, OK, and the surrounding areas.
- A sweet husband who spends his day working hard with the kids no one else wants to deal with and then comes home to spend hours doing deep cleaning to prepare for my Sner’s visit.
- Time with my Sner. She arrives tomorrow, and I’m so excited! I realize that it was just Christmas the last time I saw her, but that was awhile ago. There’s a lot of distance between us, and I’m not sure when I’m going to be able to make it to her neck of the woods. That she can travel to see me…again…is something for which I am supremely grateful. It’s hard having her so far away from me.
- My camera should be here on Thursday. I’m very grateful for that because I haven’t really taken photos in months now, and I miss it. Artistic expression is important, and I think I’m a better person–friend, wife, daughter, co-worker, boss–when I have time to nurture my soul.
- Progress. I’ve just about got a major project completed at work, and I am so thankful. It’s been hell putting it together for the last month. I’m so sick of looking at the damn thing. I just want it to go away. In a way, it’s worse than my dissertation was. Ugh. We should have it finished up and off to the folks who need to do the final tweaks and edits to it by the latest Thursday afternoon. I will be glad to wash my hands of it. I hope that it is good enough. But at this point…I don’t give a damn. It’s done.
- Blooms. Our front flower beds are gorgeous. It really is about time to get them mulched and finished off. When people drive, ride, or walk by and we’re out there working, they stop and tell us how good they look. I’ve been worried about a few of my plants, but I think they’re going to make it after all. We just need a few more white plants to put around the base of the palm and then that’s all done. I told Matt this morning that I wanted a couple of yellow roses to go with the far orange/yellow bed since we have red/pink roses all the way down the near bed. I think that would look nice and tie every thing together. We need to do some transplanting, but everything is coming together nicely.
- The beach. We spent time on the beach this weekend, and I’ve been walking along the beach in the mornings. There is something relaxing and peaceful about it. I love it. Even as we gear up and get ready to enter hurricane season with the threat that brings, I love it here. “Mother, Mother Ocean I have heard your call…”
- Health. I’m not sure what has made the habit stick this time when it hasn’t in the past, but I’m up every morning walking, and I’m making better choices when it comes to what I use to fuel my body. All of that has resulted in a 10 pound weight loss in the last month. I’m good with that. While weight loss is a nice by-product and it is something that is necessary for me to get to where I want to be (pregnancy), the bigger goal for me is health. I want to be healthy. I want to be able to enjoy this life that I have because it is pretty awesome when you sit back and look at it.
For what are you thankful this week? What blessings surround you?