Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life.
There are many things for which to be grateful:
- Health. I’ve been saying this for a couple of weeks, I think, but I’m really feeling it lately. Particularly with a new study out that ranks Jackson, MS (just up the road a little from us) as one of the “laziest” places in the country, I’m glad that for whatever reason…now…things are clicking for me. I’m eating better. I’m I’m getting up and getting out the door. I’m coming home at a reasonable time and I’m taking the kids for a walk, too. Medication is working OK. I’m trying to be patient with some side effects, but I’m sure they’re going to be OK. Eventually.
- Family. We got to spend the weekend with Matt’s parents in Hattiesburg, and it was lovely. We always love getting to hang out with them, and Gumbo Acres truly is a “resort like” environment. There’s always food and drink and no pressure. Plus they’re the sweetest people. They’ll do anything for you. One of the things that I love about my husband is his family. They’re close-knit and supportive. I’m blessed.
- Savings. As part of my health kick, I haven’t been stopping to order breakfast on my way to work nor have I been going out to get lunch during the day. That means I’ve managed to save approximately $50 for each of the last 3 weeks, which means I have $150 to put towards my camera, which I get to order on Friday. I’m so very excited about it!
- Flowers. The yard is looking fantastic right now. Several of the flower beds are essentially done and we brought a ton of things back from Gumbo Acres this weekend so we have begun working on the backyard. We need to hit everything with a healthy dose of miracle grow this weekend, but I think it’s all coming along beautifully. I’m excited to see what it looks like as we add to it over the course of the summer. I think our big project for the weekend is that we’re going to get our raised beds taken care of so we can put together the vegetable gardens.
- Friends. We got to see a couple of our friends yesterday. They moved to Texas a few months ago so it was very nice to see them. The sweet husband got to see a few of his friends this weekend too. It’s always nice to reconnect with those folks who have been foundational in our lives.
- Writing. While I haven’t spent a lot of time posting here, I’ve been writing every morning. I haven’t written the very thing that I really need to write, but I’m going to get to that this weekend. It’s not something that I can do before going to work, but it feels good to get back into a regular practice. I started a new writer’s notebook at the end of April and it’s already a quarter full. Which reminds me…I need to throw out a date for a possible writing marathon date. And I need to talk to the folks at the GSD about the community classes and teaching a writing class. I just feel the need to be part of a larger community. Which means I probably need to find out about the area writer’s groups. I looked them up once, but I need to do it again.
- Enough. We have enough. We are enough. And I am thankful for it.
For what are you thankful this week? In what ways are you blessed and how can you show your gratitude?