Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to pause and give thanks for all of the many blessings in my life. There are so very many of them, and I am so incredibly fortunate that it is difficult to narrow it down. I do make the attempt, though.
This week, I’m thankful for the following:
- My education. I’m grateful for the time that I grew up. I’m grateful for the people who educated me and that I went to school in the era before the overwhelming pressure of standardized testing. As I watch my students and my colleagues prepare for testing and then take the tests and I see the inordinate amount of time that has been taken away from actual instruction in order to make sure that students are ready for tests, I am again grateful for the freedom that my teachers had to actually teach me. I thought the tests that we had to take were bad, but they were nothing compared to what students are subjected to today.
- Family. We had a great time with Sweet Husband’s parents this weekend, and we’re so grateful for all the help and support they give us. The yard is looking much better thanks to all of their hard work.
- Mothers. My relationship with my mom wasn’t always the greatest, but for a very long time, we’ve been at a great point. I don’t know what I’d do without her. I’m equally lucky to have an outstanding mother-in-law. I know that many women aren’t so fortunate, and I’m thankful for the friendships that I have with these very important women in my life.
- The end of the school year. It’s within sight. I believe that we have 10.5 days left to go. 9.5 of those are with children. I am grateful for the opportunity that being back in the classroom has presented me, but I’m ready to go home to my husband.
- A good night’s sleep. Last night I got back to my bedtime routine, and I got a very restful night’s sleep. I still woke up several times during the night, but when I woke up, it was just for a moment or two and then I was right back out. It wasn’t that feeling of oh-my-gosh-I’m-awake-and-I-can’t-go-back-t0-sleep.
- Allergy medicine. I forgot to bring one of my allergy medicines last week, so I was miserable. It is amazing what a difference those little pills make. I’m eternally grateful that my Sner sends them to me so I don’t have to suffer. I take 24-hour Zyrtec twice a day, and it helps but doesn’t take care of all the issues that pop up.
- Sweet Husband. He brought me north Sunday night so I didn’t have to do one of my early morning drives. Instead, he had to drive back to the Coast early. He usually gets up at 7:00. Getting up at 5:30 was painful for him. I appreciate his willingness to do that for me.
For what are you thankful this week? What blessings are you counting? Let me know in the comments!