Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to pause and give thanks for all of the many blessings in my life. There are so very many of them, and I am so incredibly fortunate that it is difficult to narrow it down. I do make the attempt, though. This week, I’m thankful for the following:
- Spring Break. I have desperately needed this time away from students who challenge and physically threaten me. I am not at all sure that I have done much resting, and I know for certain that I have not done nearly a third of what I had planned to accomplish during this break. The thing is, though, that I am not at work and am instead at home with my sweet Husband and my lovely puppy dogs. It’s all good.
- Sweet Husband. He puts up with my moods and loves me anyway. Even if he is not to blame for my mood swings, he does the best he can to fix whatever the problem is. I couldn’t ask for a better husband. I am blessed.
- Sunshine. We had a plethora of it the last couple of days, and even though today has been rainy and nothing like what I would call spring, there will soon be a return to beautiful weather – like tomorrow soon.
- Enough. We’ve spent a ton of money this week, and I’m headed to New Orleans tomorrow where I will probably (definitely) spend some more. We’ve got it right now, and even after this week, we’ll be fine. It’s nice to have options and to know that if we need it, we have it.
- Hair color. I’m a redhead again. I’ve got to go back on Thursday to get my highlights put in (it was a new place, and they seriously underestimated the amount of time it would take to color all this hair I have), but I’m so incredibly happy to have red hair again.
- Painting. I’m not a big fan of painting, but the last couple of days as I’ve been refinishing these pieces of furniture, I’ve found painting to be a very contemplative, meditative process. As brushed again and again, coat after coat, I found that my head was working through things, sorting out dilemmas and making sense.
- Family. We have a really good one, and I’m thankful for them all the time.
For what are you thankful for this week? What blessings are you counting?