Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to remind myself of all the things that are blessings in my life.
This week, the following things are a representative sample of those things for which I am thankful:
- Sweet Husband. He is patient and kind and understanding. I haven’t been feeling well. He’s taken care of me. My work situation isn’t ideal for either of us, and he handles it amazingly. He has always been one to spoil me, and he has stepped that up a notch in recent weeks. This weekend was very, very difficult for me – and for him too. Both of us surrounded by babies. He’ll be such a good dad. He was eating it up. And I couldn’t. I can talk to new moms. I can be around them and their babies. I can’t hold their babies; not when there are so many of them. When there is one, I can handle it. More than one and the sense of loss is overwhelming and agonizing. I just can’t do it. He understands, and he loves me me through it.
- Zofran. I’ve been nauseous for a week and a half now. There have been moments where I’ve literally thought I was going to need to pull over while driving in order to puke. Zofran usually makes it all better. I think it’s a severe case of dehydration that should be all better now. I suppose I’ll find out differently on Thursday when I go to the doctor. (For reasons that are TMI, I do not at all suspect that the reason I am nauseous has anything to do with making that sense of loss go away)
- Crab legs. When the zofran had kicked in , Sweet Husband took me for crab legs and champagne this weekend (see spoiling me). Yum.
- 3 Day Weekends. We spent Saturday away from home because we were in Hattiesburg with friends. It was nice to have an extra day this weekend to feel like we had a weekend.
- Family. I am grateful that I only have to get up at 3:00 a couple of days a week. Sweet Husband’s family are incredibly generous in allowing me to stay with them during the week – providing me not only with shelter but food and resources, love and support.
- Routine. I’m not quite where I want to be, but I’m getting there, slowly but surely, and it feels good to at least be doing something. Even if it is just a little scribbling here and little scribbling there.
- Gorgeous weather. It’s gotten cold again in South Mississippi, but this weekend, particularly Sunday – it was what dreams are made of on the Gulf Coast. So achingly beautiful.
- New make-up. I was out of my foundation; I decided it was time for a change (I’m a bit of a creature of habit). I’m digging this new BB cream. We’ll see if it works with the fine lines I’m starting to see around my eyes.
For what are you grateful this week? What blessings are you counting?