Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude, I take Tuesdays to give thanks for all the things that are amazing and incredible in my life. This week, I am thankful for the following:
- My family. I cannot be thankful or grateful enough for all of the support and love they give to me and to Sweet Husband. I’m staying with family will working during the week, and it’s a lot to open your home to people. Living with another person, moving to their rhythms, adjusting to their habits, and there has been wonderful grace and hospitality to me. Sweet Husband and I couldn’t do this without them.
- Opportunity. Y’all! I’m so very excited to be a part of Danielle LaPorte’s Desire Map Book Club as the Leader for Mississippi (well, technically just Gulfport but because there’s no one else in Mississippi, I’m calling Mississippi)! I cannot wait to get this up and running and to see where it’s going to lead. I’m so very thankful for this chance to work with people who want to make differences in their lives.
- Sweet Husband. This transition back to work and the way that we are doing it is incredibly difficult. He’s living a bachelor life and holding down the fort while I’m away. It is not easy for either of us, but I think it’s probably more difficult for him than it is for me. I appreciate him letting me do this.
- My work. Even though there are really, really difficult days (like yesterday), I feel like I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing. I can’t picture easing back into teaching in any better way. I’m enjoying the work that I’m doing, and by all accounts, I’m doing a good job. I’m feeling really strong and competent, which is something I haven’t felt in my work in a long time. It’s a very, very good thing.
- Coffee. I struggled through two weeks because I couldn’t get up in time to go through my process with the French Press. I broke down this past weekend and bought a Keurig. While I could have gotten just a plain coffee maker, I’m really glad that Sweet Husband told me I could spend a little more money. It’s lovely to put the cartridge in the machine in ad two minutes later have a steaming cup of motivation. I’m still not up early enough to write in the morning, but with the blessing of coffee, I’ll get there.
- My upbringing. I’m not sure that’s the right word to describe it, but this morning as I listened to my students talk about the brawl they got into last night – one that involved their mothers, their aunties, their uncles…all of them beating the hell out of an 18 year old because she insulted a 13 year old – I was thankful for the environment that I grew up in. The safety and security I experienced, even though there were some things about my childhood that weren’t all that pleasant. In that environment, there was rationality and sensibility. I’m grateful for the people who gave me a chance before I even got started.
- Fall. One of the wonderful things about living in South Mississippi is that we have warm weather just about all year round. I think that last winter we turned our furnace on for a total of two weeks throughout the winter. It just didn’t get that cold. A cold front has moved in, and we have lows that are dipping into the 50s and highs that are in the upper 70s. For a moment it feels like fall, reminding me of those far away places where I used to live.
Just a short list.
For what are you thankful this week? What things are wonderful and amazing in your life? Feel free to share in the comments.