Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause once a week and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to take Tuesdays and make them my highlight reel.
The following makes my highlight reel for the past week:
- The Best In-Laws in the World. Seriously. In the last several weeks, my sweet mother-in-law has spent probably $200 on plants for our yard. Saturday, both my MIL and my father-in-law spent the afternoon helping Sweet Husband and I put all those plants in the ground and then mulch them. My mother-law picked up the debris that somehow accumulates in our yard and arranged the gazebo. We’ve discussed what it is that we want to do with the yard, she said she would be looking for those things when she is prowling around. Beyond the “things,” we know that if there’s anything that we need, they will do their best to help us make it happen. When so many people in this world complain about their in-law’s, I’m blessed to have ones that love me like I’m truly their daughter.
- A good weekend. The weather was beautiful, and we got to spend time with people that we love. We got things done at the house. The week was really long and tiring and this weekend was exactly what we needed.
- Cobbler doggie. I don’t know if you saw this post, but my best girl ever hasn’t been feeling well for the last week and half. I’ve been terribly worried about her. Today, after she climbed into bed all on her own, she played a subdued game of Hide the Paw. We have attempted to play several times over the past week and she hasn’t been interested. I’m so glad!
- Five more Mondays. There are only five more Mondays with children and six more Mondays in total. It has been a wonderful year, but I’m ready for a break. Ready to move to my own rhythms. Ready to spend time working around my house. Ready to relax. I realize that not everyone in the world is a teacher and to be thankful for just six more Mondays before the two month break that is summer, is a bit…spoiled. I’m OK with that. I don’t think that much good comes of comparing jobs and stress levels and all that so I won’t do that. However, I will say that my salary is for the days that I actually work. My contract is for 187 days. That means I’m not getting paid for the time off in the summer.
- Sweet Husband. I’m so proud of him. He’s put himself out there, and he is being rewarded for all the hard work that he has done.
- Sunshine. It’s been gorgeous here the last week. I’ve loved the sunshine.
Those are the things that made my heart happy this past week. What blessings have you counted in the last week?