Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause once a week and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to take Tuesdays and make them my highlight reel.
This week the following are making the list:
- Blackberry Kitteh. She will soon be gone, and when I say soon, I mean in a matter of days. A couple of years ago my Peach Cat passed and I didn’t take it as hard as I thought I would have. But Blackberry – her sweet, cantankerous, shy but insistent self – has had me weepy the last few days. Maybe because it was the first pet that was just mine or maybe because I worked so hard to keep her alive that first year. Whatever it is, it’s gonna be hard. I hope all the fresh water she wants is just over the rainbow bridge.
- Sweet Husband. B’erd’s imminent passing is affecting him as much as it is me, but he’s putting on a brave face for me so he can support me as I lose my friend of almost 14 years. He’s also working hard to create new opportunities for himself, even though it’s creating a ton of anxiety for him. He’s doing it anyway while he’s still focused on getting healthier. Couldn’t do this life without him.
- The Best In-Laws Ever. They got us a dishwasher as a housewarming gift and we’re finally having it installed.
- The Sner. Not only did she make a baby quilt for a friend who was due yesterday but because she knew the theme of the nursery was Dr Seuss, she has been searching online for some Suess-themed fabric and she’s going to make our sweet friends *another* quilt.
- Spring weather. It’s almost time to set the porch plants back out on the porch and in the gazebo. We’re going to put out a garden in the next two weeks, and we’ve been working on our landscaping plans for the house. Zones are starting to come together.
- My colleagues. This school year has been an adjustment for me but I’ve had a ton of folks supporting & helping along the way. We are about to enter the home stretch & I’ve really enjoyed this year.
- People who let me take their pictures. I was out walking Sunday afternoon, my camera in hand, thinking about a photo challenge that I wanted to get caught up k. It required taking a photo of a person in his or her environment. When I approached people at the fishing pier, the first answers to my “Excuse-me-But-I’m- working-on-photography-project-can-I-take-your-picture?” Were downright rude. One lady even cussed at me. But one gentleman was very gracious & I’m appreciative.
That’s what I have for you this week. Tell me in the comments one thing that you’re thankful for this week!