Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause once a week and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to take Tuesdays and make them my highlight reel. I had meant to post last week, but with getting my 10-on-10 post ready and Mardi Gras, something had to give – my gratitude post was that thing. So this week’s post is a combination of last week’s and this.
The following are making the list:
- A quiet weekend. Besides my father-in-law making a trip to the Coast Saturday morning so I could do his taxes, there were no plans this weekend. We made a trip to Lowes and came home with two rose bushes, which we then planted along with several other plants that we’ve had for a little while but hadn’t gotten around to planting. We relaxed at home, took naps, had some drinks. After a couple of weekends of running around and as some of my online friends may have noted – partying – a relaxing weekend was just what we needed.
- My Valentine. I have the sweetest husband. He’s so gruff but so tender-hearted. He got up early Sunday and brought me breakfast in bed. He let me take a luxurious nap. We watched the Outlander marathon on Starz. He felt bad because I didn’t have a gift, but that’s my fault because I didn’t order it in time – he told me to, but I just didn’t get around to it. He reminds me on a daily basis of the life I never thought was possible and I’m thankful.
- Mardi Gras! We were off work for two days because Mardi Gras is a holiday here on the Gulf Coast. My Sweet Husband was off for 3 days. When you combine that with the party that is Mardi Gras, it was a wonderful little gift on the way to the long slog that is the crawl to the end of the school year. We really enjoyed our time with friends, which is a huge draw of Mardi Gras.
- Spring. It’s not here yet, and it’s probably going to be another three weeks for sure, but it’s coming. We are beginning to see the signs. Daffodils are in bloom, and we’ve been experiencing temperatures in the upper 70s. With that come severe storms and across Mississippi yesterday there was quite a bit of damage caused by tornadoes. We had heavy rain and hail here on the Coast, but nothing that created havoc and devastation.
- Getting on track. Lately I’ve been struggling with keeping all the balls in the air while trying to work towards living the dream. I’ve been overwhelmed, anxious, and stressed out. The good thing is that I’m feeling better. I think I needed a bit of a break, and I’ve taken one. Now it feels like the wheels are starting to turn again and I’m ready to jump back on the train to productivity and accomplishment. I’m excited again and more at ease.
- My colleagues. I teach in a behavior intervention classroom for students with emotional and/or behavior disorders. Here lately my students have been having more challenges, and I’m so glad for the support that my facilitators, fellow teachers, and administrators provide.
- Getting stronger. I’ve been getting 10,000 steps (at least) most days for the last 6 weeks. I’m feeling healthier and stronger, and my time is getting faster. I occasionally think that it would be a good idea to perhaps start a Couch-2-5k program and then I remind myself that the last few times I’ve started a C25K program, I’ve been miserable and it derails my entire fitness attempts. I think I’ll stick to walking for now.
What blessings are you counting this week? What amazing things have happened in your world? Let me know in the comments!