Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause once a week and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to take Tuesdays and make them my highlight reel.
This week the following are making the list:
- My colleagues. I really work with some great people. This marks my 11th year of teaching, but it’s my first year in special education, and I’m learning a lot. As we enter IEP season, there is a huge learning curve ahead. There are so many people who are working with me and supporting me right now that it is ridiculous. I mean absolutely, totally ridiculous. I couldn’t ask for better. We got to hang out with some of those colleagues this past weekend, and it was even better.
- My Sweet Husband. I couldn’t do this teaching thing without him, and I couldn’t do this whole getting-healthy-thing on my own either. He encourages and supports me and gives me the time and space to do the things that I want/need to do. I’ve said many times that I don’t know what I did to deserve him, but I’m so very glad to have him.
- Warmer weather. We have the threat of severe weather – which at this time of year in the heart of the South – means tornadoes – on the horizon, but it’s warmer. We are not frozen…or as frozen as the South gets. I’m back in my sandals and my bare-legged dresses.
- A quiet weekend. We have been running for the last six weeks. While we had an event Saturday night, we got to sleep in both Saturday and Sunday and had nowhere to go. Can I tell you how nice it is to sleep into until 9:00? That the doggies let us sleep that late? And that we had time to take a two hour wander through the neighborhood? or a three hour nap? Heaven, I tell you.
- Mardi Gras. This weekend is the weekend. We will be heading to New Orleans to enjoy parades with our friends. And we’ll be at local parades on Sunday, Monday, and Fat Tuesday. Because we have Monday and Tuesday off to celebrate the holiday. (It’s kinda like when I lived in Louisville and everyone got the Friday of Oaks off…because the school district knew there would be massive absences anyway so why bother to fight it?) This past quiet weekend will be more than made-up-for with the coming weekend. We are also apparently going to be hosting a Super Bowl crawfish boil…and since we don’t have to go to work on Monday, that could be one epic party here at Gumbo Acre South.
- Gulf Coast sunsets. They really are incredible right now, and the fact that I am out wandering around the neighborhood in the evenings as the sun is setting allows me to capture them. They are absolutely gorgeous.
- Photography friends. This week is the one-year anniversary of my Photo Friday link-up. I’ve met a ton of incredibly supportive people who have inspired and stretched me in ways that are helping me grow as a photographer and blogger. I’m so thankful for them!
My hear it full this week, and I hope that yours is too. What’s one thing that is on your gratitude list this week?