Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause once a week and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to take Tuesdays and make them my highlight reel.
This week the following are making the list:
- Sweet Husband. Y’all must get tired of me saying this, but he really is the best. This past week, even though he was suffering through a gout flare-up, he went to the mall with me one night to make sure I got my steps in (it was raining here. No other choice). He also took me to Mobile for Mardi Gras parades…with my girlfriends. His job this weekend? Escorting slightly intoxicated women around a new city, keeping us out of trouble, driving us home. Then Sunday, he stayed home while we all went to brunch so we could have some “girl time.” I’ve got the best, I swear!
- Time with Girlfriends. I love my girlfriends, but we don’t get to spend as much time together as I would like. Right now, I’ve seen one of them twice in two months. There’s a possibility that I will get to see them again next month. When we live an hour and a half to three hours apart, getting together becomes ever more difficult. I’m grateful for every moment we get to spend together. We always have so much fun!
- A warm house. One of the things that we noticed while wandering around downtown Mobile, AL in between Mardi Gras parades, was a homeless camp. tucked in a stand of trees next to the highway. A ratty sleeping bag on the ground; a pair of jeans hanging draped over a tree branch. This past Friday I got our gas bill and our power bill has been in for a couple of weeks. To keep our house as warm as I want it (and that fluctuates wildly based on my mood), we’re looking at around $170. We are fortunate, and I don’t want to take that for granted.
- Supportive colleagues. We are entering IEP season. It’s my first. I need a lot of help, and I ask a lot of questions. I work with some incredible people. Couldn’t do it without them.
- The coming spring. The winter has been so warm that our azaleas and such have already begun blooming. I am about ready to get out into the yard and start making things around here beautiful. I’ve got a ton of plans starting to shape up and I already have a ton of things that I need to plant…like the confederate roses that are going wild in the jar of water on the dining room table.
- Healthy habits. While it was difficult to reach my goals last week, it was worth it. Thus far, what we are working on incorporating hasn’t been onerous, so it’s working for us. Which is good. We have to get healthy, so we’re trying to make small changes that will actually stick and eventually turn into huge changes. I’m proud of us.
That’s what is making my list this week. What in this last week has made you realize that you are indeed living a good life? Let me know in the comments!