Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things get counted as blessings:
- World Series Champions Kansas City Royals. I’ve said it before, but most of you wouldn’t know but I am a RABID baseball fan. And I’ve been a Kansas City Royals fan since I was a young girl, listening to games on the radio and watching them on TV with my grandpa. I’ve waited through terrible years – years when we were way below .500, years when you were almost ashamed to say you were a Royals fan. This is the reward: a team that looks like they are having a blast out there on the field, a team that doesn’t quit, and a team that wins championships. I have no idea if we will be back in the hunt next year or not or if we’ll be back to the drought of the late 90s/early 2000s…and either way, I’m still thankful for the joy this team has given their fans.
- Friends. One of my friends from high school went searching around KC today to find me a newspaper celebrating the World Series win. She finally sent her husband downtown to the newspaper to pick one up. So awesome!
- My father-in-law. He has stayed up watching the games and after our last two wins, he has called as excited as I was…if possible. It’s a small thing really but what it really symbolic of is that I have this family who loves me so much that the things that are important to me, become important to them. It’s an incredible thing.
- Sweet Husband. He finished building our privacy fence this past weekend…and he didn’t get too frustrated with me when I was slow holding the drill or handing over screws. AND when the Royals won the series, he told me I could go crazy in the Royals team shop 😉
- Rain. We have been dry here in the deep South. And this weekend we made up for all the rain we haven’t had. Makes me think that we could possibly have a fire this weekend…because lots of things in life are better with a fire.
- The privilege of voting. It’s election day in Mississippi, and I’ll be voting. There are several issues that are important to me, but beyond that, after having taught my students about the Civil Rights movement and the struggle so many in this country went through in order to be able to vote, I can’t imagine not exercising that right. I can’t imagine NOT voting. Being more blue in a red state, my vote probably doesn’t make a difference but I still believe that it is an important exercise.
That’s what is making my list this week. What’s on yours? Let me know in the comments!