Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
I started this post last week because I felt like almost a week after what is by all accounts a relatively simple shoulder surgery, I should be able to pull together a gratitude post, shouldn’t it? But the sad truth is that I couldn’t. So this week is like a gratitude post in stereo.
- Sweet Husband. I tried to be a good patient but since pain killers don’t work for me, I’m not sure how well I succeeded. He was an excellent nurse though & I’m so grateful for him. The entire time I’ve been recovering – trying to keep from puking, trying to pull myself together, he has been a champ. If there was something he could do for me, he did it. He was thoughtful and considerate and always trying to anticipate what I might want or need. On top of that, he kept the house together and clean AND he accomplished a great deal on our privacy fence as well as finished painting our furniture for in the living room. I cannot imagine a better husband.
- My coworkers. It’s never easy to be out when you’re a teacher. In fact, most teachers go in when they should stay home because it’s such a hassle. My coworkers have covered admirably.
- My in-laws. They came down & helped SH build the beginnings of a privacy fence. We are always so grateful & thakful for their help & support. Don’t know what we would do without them.
- Cooler weather. We had the windows open . I know it’s going to heat up again but I love this little taste of fall we are getting right now.
- Good times with good friends. We had friends with us this weekend, here for Cruisin the Coast. We had good food and conversations as well as lots of laughter. You wouldn’t think that 1.5 hours would be such a prohibition to visiting, and perhaps it isn’t – perhaps it’s more about the busyness of our lives – but we don’t get together as often as we would like.
- Online Friends. I was contacting a couple of people about the possibility of creating a guest post for my Photo Friday blog post series, I was literally brought to tears by the generosity and the sweet kindness. I very literally cried after receiving one of the emails. There are wonderful people in the world and getting to connect with them is amazing.
- My GP. For much longer than I should have after my surgery, I was sick. Very, very sick. My surgeon told me, “I don’t know what to tell you. Go talk to your GP.” So when I finally got in to see my GP, I told him what was going on, how I felt, what had happened, and he took a few minutes to think before immediately coming up with the solution. I started it that evening, and I’ve felt 100% better since then. I absolutely love this doctor. His office closes at noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays so he can do home visits. He cuts through the crap, doesn’t keep you waiting, and has been around the block long enough times that he knows what he is doing. He doesn’t accept my insurance and I STILL go to him. He’s that good.
- Gulf Coast Shrimpers. I’ve been telling SH that I wanted to get some fresh shrimp – we live here…the boats are right there…but we never have shrimp. Well, this weekend we stopped and got some shrimp, and the price was almost criminally low. Being out on the water is hard work…occasionally dangerous work….and at the price we paid for the shrimp we bought this weekend, the reward is very low. I’m thankful there are people are willing to do that work so I can have delicious shrimp.
- In person friends. So many people have reached out to me over the last two weeks. It’s nice that there are so may folks thinking about me.
These last two weeks have reminded me how blessed I am. I hope you are equally so. What are you thankful for this week?