Because there are documented benefits to a regular practice of gratitude and thanksgiving, I pause on Tuesdays and give thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life. There are really too many to list, but I try to make Tuesdays my highlight reel.
This week, the following things are making the list:
- My mother-in-law. My in-laws are awesome all the time, and we wouldn’t be where we are without their help and support. My mother-in-law and I were friends before Sweet Husband and I got together, and she is still one of my very good friends. Friday morning I sent her a panicked text and within a few moments, she was on her way. I married into an incredible family, and I’m grateful.
- A new job. I start today. It’s going to be an adjustment, but I’m going to be home, which is the important part. I’m nervous about it. Very nervous because it’s something I haven’t done before exactly. But I’m going to be home. Which means time for photography. Which means time for walking the doggies. Which means time for spending time with Sweet Husband.
- Friends. We got to spend time with a dear friend and her husband who are moving away, and I am going to miss her terribly. We had a really nice last dinner with them, and I am so glad that we got a chance to spend time with them before they go.
- A little get-away. The shopping was terrible, but the boys had a great time fishing. The afore-mentioned mother-in-law and I had a good time together…even if we didn’t find anything to buy.
- A bigger get-away. I told SH last week that summer is over and we haven’t been to the beach yet – what is up with that? So this weekend? He’s taking me to the beach. I know this is a dangerous proposition, given the post much earlier in the summer that showed my horrible, horrible reaction to being in the sun, but I need a day on the beach with an adult beverage in my hand. We are also making plans to head to Natchez in mid-October. I really can’t wait for that. Hot air balloon photos? I think yes.
- Some time to take pictures. I captured some good stuff Saturday on Dauphin Island, and then yesterday I was able to spend some time at a local park that has essentially been closed since Katrina but just recently re-opened. (There’s alligators in the Back Bay! I got a picture, but I haven’t had a chance to really edit. I doubt it will turn out since I didn’t have my zoom lens with me, but it was exciting to just see it)
- Opportunity. I got an exciting email on Friday – one of the things that I have been working towards is apparently beginning to happen. I’m so excited about the possibility, and I hope that it is a positive experience that leads to more.
- Enough. The last week has been stressful – evidenced by my grotesquely swollen right foot and ankle; apparently that is where my body likes to hold stress – but one of the things that I realized through it was that we have enough and will be OK. Doors close; doors open. And we will be OK.
It was a long list this week, wasn’t it? I have been reminded that I really am blessed. I hope you are too. What’s making your highlight reel this week?