After a week of dealing with the funk – some of it quite severe – brought on by hormonal imbalances, I thought it might be nice to make a list of all the things that make me happy so as to have a reserve to draw on should things be this bad again next month. Or tomorrow. Or an hour from now. Because you never know. It could change just that quickly.
- Tickling my husband, as described here. It’s hard to be unhappy when I’m listening to him giggle.
- When my doggies do the cartoon dog snore. You know the one I’m talking about. It’s usually just my Cobbie who does it, but I’ve caught Bourbon doing it once or twice.
- A clean house. There is something about a whiff of Murphy’s Oil Soap for the hardwood, lemon Pinesol for the tile floors, vinegar and bleach in the bathrooms.
- My plants. I think that my philosophy for gardening could best be described as “benign neglect.” I love them, I love rescuing them and watching them grow. I love getting the dirt under my fingernails (and I really love getting the dirt out from under my fingers even more).
- Gin martinis. Slightly dirty. Just like 2 extra olives dirty. Made with good quality vermouth, which is hard to find in these parts. Even in “good” bars and restaurants. If someone wanted to send me some yummy stuff, I wouldn’t be opposed.
- Photography. I don’t take the best pictures, but I enjoy taking them. Tonight taking pictures of my puppy made me smile. Being part of the current Elevate the Ordinary e-course with Andrea Scher, basking in the community and knowledge, makes me happy.
- Clean sheets. I have a love/hate relationship with clean sheets. There is nothing quite like the feeling of crisp, clean sheets. There is also nothing quite like sheets that have been slept on for a couple of nights, when they’ve gotten soft and comfy.
- Freshly brewed coffee. I use a Chemix pot to make coffee in the morning. It is a rather long, drawn out process, but I enjoy the fact that it makes me slow down for a moment and that it gives me an incredible cup of coffee.
- Writing. I enjoy sitting down and writing. Morning pages help keep me centered and sane. I enjoy putting my thoughts on these pages.
- Necklaces. I prefer them on clearance at Dillards or Belk, but wherever I can find them, at a decent price, you can bet I’m snatching them up. I don’t wear a lot of jewelry, but there’s something about necklaces. Usually the chunkier the better.
What things make you happy or bring you joy? What is guaranteed to make you smile? Feel free to leave me a comment. I’m always looking for more things to add to my bank of happiness strategies. I’d love to try one of yours.