There’s this thing going around Facebook where you post a list of things that people might not know about you and then when people like your status, you give them a number, which means that’s how many probably unknown things they have to post about themselves. I wonder who starts these things. Who comes up with them to begin with and who decides that they need to get something like that going?
Of course, when the “game” started, I didn’t know what it was, and I’ve been caught. I was kind of thinking that like the giraffe riddle that I got right but was told I got wrong and thus had to change my profile picture I wouldn’t actually participate. But then I realized I needed something to write about today; none of the other prompts I’ve come across are appealing to me.
My number is 13. (By the way? Really? WTF?)
So. Without further ado, 13 things you may not know about me:
- I was born in Germany. My father was in the Army and the family was stationed there.
- I have a brother who is a year and six days older than me. I don’t talk about him because we don’t have a relationship. He’s not a nice person. He claims to have changed, but I’m not willing to take the chance.
- The “house” my father lived in for a year or so when I was younger had running water (cold only. No hot water) but that was it as far as indoor plumbing. To use the bathroom, i.e., outhouse, it was a trek back up through the field to the old chicken coop. The chicken coop was falling apart and using the outhouse was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. I think that experience prepared me well for teaching – where you go all day without a chance to use the bathroom – because I did about everything I could to avoid using the “bathroom” at my father’s house.
- I know how to use a chainsaw, although I haven’t had to actually fire one up in quite some time. Comes from years working with my father.
- Speaking of which…I can’t stand the smell of sawdust. That is in whole due to the fact that when I was a kid, my father thought God wanted him to be a sawyer. It started with a firewood business (I’m very good at stacking ricks of wood) and then moved on to a small sawmill. He, of course, didn’t have the money to hire folks to help him, so that’s where the kids came in. I’ve rolled logs down (or up) the ramp to the carriage (can’t remember the words now. It’s been a really long time), and I’ve caught slabs and boards as they came off the blade, all the while terrified that I would pull the board wrong, get the blade in a bind and kill everyone…because that’s what my father said would happen. I can also use a planer.
- I might (or might not. I’m not confirming or denying here) have a slight fascination with the trainwreck that is the Teen Mom franchise on MTV.
- I have 9 tattoos and 3 piercings. I’m dying for a few more of each.
- When I concentrate, I’m pretty good with pen and ink drawings.
- When I was a kid, we had a dog named Coors. After the beer. We also had less creatively named dogs: Goldie (a golden retriever), Blackie (a black lab), Stud (a border collie mix).
- The only F I ever received on my report card was for handwriting. I couldn’t make my letters slant. They didn’t slant the wrong way; they just didn’t slant. Determined that I would never receive an F in handwriting again, I taught myself to write upside down so that my letters had a beautiful, perfect slant to them. I quit writing upside down sometime in college…but if I do say so myself, I still have gorgeous handwriting.
- I love sending Christmas cards – taking a moment to think about the person I’m sending it to, wondering about their year and hoping that the holidays are wonderful and blessed.
- I cannot stand to have my wet hair touch my skin. But only in the shower. The pool or the ocean (or the creek), I never quite mind. Until I start to think about it. And then it completely and totally grosses me out.
- I have a deep and abiding love for our National Park System. A huge item on my bucket list is to visit all of the National Parks, Monuments, Reserves, Seashores, etc.
What about you? What are some things others might not know about you? Leave a comment and I’ll give you a number 😉 (Not really. You know. Just kidding. But do please leave a comment!)