Courtesy of In the Storm, today’s prompt:
What are 13 things your life doesn’t need in 2013? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these things change your life? (Author: Sam Davidson & Me)
- The things I haven’t used. There are a ton of things that we moved into this house a year ago that are still in boxes. While I cannot just willy-nilly throw them away, it is certainly time to sit down with those things and decide if I’m holding on to them for sentimental reasons, and if so, will a picture of them do, or if they are things I should have gotten rid of long ago. There is too much clutter in this house. I sorta started that a couple of weekends ago. There are two large pictures that need to go to Goodwill, and it is a little painful to let go of them because they were my grandparents and I miss them keenly, but it’s time. If they have not been hung on walls in over a year (getting closer to 2 now), then it is time for them to go. They are not my grandparents and keeping them does not mean that my grandparents are any closer to me than they were 2 years ago.
- Negativity. I don’t need it around me. People who are bringing it need to keep on walking because I’ve got no time for the drama.
- Doubt. I’m never quite sure that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing or that I’m doing it right or that I’m in any way about to be successful at whatever. Whatever. I’m about to enter my late 30s. It’s way past time to let go of those worries and just get on with my life.
- The past. It crops up now and again, reminding me of paths not taken. I tell myself all the time that I am on the path that I am supposed to be on. If the past were where I am supposed to be, then I would be there still. Obviously I was meant to move on, and I have. So let it go.
- Guilt. Making myself feel bad about the things that either I do or do not do serves no real purpose. It is precious time and energy that I am wasting each and every day.
- A sedentary lifestyle. I am not getting any younger. As comforting as the couch is, I have no desire to rot into it. I meant to go for a 30 minute walk today, but things got in the way. I suppose that means that if I’m going to do this, I’m going to have to do it in the morning. Which means that I’ve got to get up even earlier. I have been OK with the getting up early enough to get my morning pages done, but the thought of enough time to get dressed and get a walk in is daunting. The rewards, though, are worth it. I know this. I need to do this.
- Empty writer’s notebooks. My writer’s notebooks have gone long stretches in the last several years without being filled, and that needs to stop. My soul has been telling me for awhile now what it needs. I am only now just getting around to listening to it.
- Comparison. I am who I am. This life that I am building is good enough. Better than good enough. It is perfect for me. It is not always easy, but as the cliche goes, nothing worth having is. The grass is not greener, and I am going to be just fine.
- Debt. It won’t totally be gone by the end of 2013, but a sizable portion of it will be. Over the course of the last year, we have been whittling things away, and we’re heading down a good road. We just have to remember where we want to go and what is important to us.
- Necklaces. I shudder to say this because we all know that I LOVE. ME. SOME. NECKLACES. There are a bunch of them on the racks that just need to go. I don’t wear them for various reasons. I don’t like them. They turn me colors. They smell funny. They need to go in the donation bag with the clothes I don’t wear and those pictures that aren’t on the walls.
- A lack of balance. I keep coming back to this idea of balance and needing to make sure that my life isn’t all focused on one thing or another. There has to be some way to bring the various parts of my life into order.
- Complications. Life is only as hard as we decide to make it. I typically make things way too hard. I think too much about them and things get convoluted and then I’m off in the ditch. Can’t be doing that.
- My Wedding Reality TV obsession. No more Say Yes to the Dress, no more Bridezillas, no more 4 Weddings. Time, intelligence, and soul suck. Gotta let it go. *sigh*
This was much harder than I thought it was going to be. After the day I had today, I was looking for something quick and easy to write. After about #5, my brain was having to work too much. *sigh* More tomorrow.