I’m participating in Write ALM’s Prompt-a-Day for the month of February. Feel free to join us!
Today’s prompt is
My favorite things…
I can’t help but hum “These are a Few of my Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music. It is poignant today with the news this weekend that Maria Von Trapp, the last of the very famous Von Trapp Family Singers, has passed away.
In that spirit and in her honor, just a few of my favorite things – in no particular order:
- Sweet Husband. This post from Next Step Editing sums it up. He loves me, wants to do whatever he can to make me happy, but more importantly, he makes me LAUGH. There is nothing like one of those deep, soul-deep belly laughs. We have a great time together.
- Black lab puppies and elderly doggies. I love that Cobbie doggie so much. She’s such a darling girl & getting older. I don’t want to think about the day when my sweet baby with her ever-whitening snout & thickening body will leave me.
- Morning pages on my front porch, sitting in my Dallas Cowboys Star custom adirondack chair, a hot cup of sweet coffee nearby. I’m surrounded by cool quiet and the green of the jungle we’ve planted in pots around our porches. It is relaxing & soothing & a perfect place to write.
- Speaking of plants, one of my greatest joys is planting things and watching them grow. Sweet Husband & I love to raid the clearance plants away Lowes. The more bedraggled the better. Almost all of our plants died this winter which means there will be some wonderful replanting about to happen. There is something about digging in the dirt, being able to make things grow. It is an absolute favorite of mine.
- A slightly dirty gin martini with 4 garlic-stuffed olives.
- Saturday afternoons on the beach. We take our chairs, our umbrella, a cooler filled with cold drinks, & a speaker for one of our phones so we can listen to the Pandora stations. We only stay a couple of hours – just until the drinks are gone and we have a sweet, happy buzz. Then we pack up and trundle the six blocks home. Such a great way to spend an afternoon.
- Sunday morning brunch with bloody Marys made with bourbon. Sweet Husband learned from the best (his daddy) & he makes the best Bloody Mary ever. Put some spicy Cajun green beans and some olives with jalapeños & garlic in them & life is perfect. It’s pure luxury to lounge with good food & drink, staving off the end of the weekend.
- Clean sheets. There is something – again – luxurious about crisp, fresh linens. As much as I like soft, broken-in sheets, sliding between clean sheets is decadent.
- Taking pictures. I don’t break out the camera as much as I should but I love being able to document this life I get to live.
- Pilot G-2 pens in blue ink with a 0.38 ultra fine point pens. They are the only pens I use in my writers notebook.
- New Orleans. It’s one of the greatest cities in the world. I absolutely love that it is so very close by (45-60 minutes depending on the traffic), and I wish I made it over more often. I think I need to tell Sweet Husband that I should get a New Orleans trip once a month.
- Hikes in wooded hills. It’s been a long time. Sweet Husband and I need to arrange a camping trip this fall. I haven’t had one in a long time, and I used to go every year. I need that tradition to come back.
- Camping, speaking of which. I love getting out and being in nature. I’m an outdoorsy girl at heart – all those days as a kid spent roaming the Ozark hills. I had a dream the other night that Sweet Husband and I bought a vintage Airstream and restored it. Perhaps instead of furniture I need to be searching for something like that. While I don’t mind tents (it’s the only camping I’ve ever really done), I can see where a camper would come in quite handy.
- Pepsi. I know that’s sacrilegious in the south, but it’s what I grew up with and when I want a soda, it’s what I want.
What about you? What are some of your favorite things?